Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy- A Three Part Series

This whole week has been XPONENTIALLY XHAUSTING but XHILIRATING all the same between my son starting his first week in Kindergarten (my baby is getting so big!) and prepping to cover as both interviewer and Model for TWO major events during New York Fashion Week; Plus Night Out and Beauty With a Pure Purpose. The balancing act between Mommy and Model is an increasingly eye opening and exciting challenge. There is always something new to experience and I’m finding it more and more rewarding to just embrace by engaging with it all…. The name of the game is To Claim!!! On my continuing journey of walking to the beat of my own drum, I find the tempo quickening with every click of my heels…… In all my curvy gloriousness, I refuse to believe I cannot  and will not have it all.


This journey of mine begins on a Thursday morning. After dropping my son to school I proceeded downtown with my girlfriend and make-up artist Beauty by Zsa-Zsa who has a job interview with a reputable make -up company and is using my face to showcase her skills. They placed us in a scenario, (me getting married, LOL) and so I begin doing my best Meryl Streep, offering an imaginary wedding on the beach as inspiration and Zsa Zsa gets to work. By end of her interview my face was slayed and Zsa Zsa was feeling more than confident she landed the gig.
 
(The Final Product.. Zsa Zsa and Myself)
 
It was a quick journey downtown and we head back to The Bronx so I could pick my boy up from his school. We snapped some pics for instagram and as the summer sun faded into storm clouds I managed to make it back before the real damage was done… or so I thought….

With a few hours before my baby would be out of class I had some time to get my things together for my second journey downtown later that evening for my fitting with Sebastian Threadz, one of the designers I had the pleasure of walking for during the Beauty with a Pure Purpose Cancer and Alopecia Benefit.  I leave my house certain I was not going to be as lucky with the storm clouds this time around as they are more intimidating than the earlier set  I proceed to head out with the one, tiniest mind you, umbrella I could find. At this point it is what is it and I had to boogie.
SOON AS I get off the train at 34th street Penn Station  TORRENTIAL downpours make it so that me and my rinky dink umbrella do not stand a chance. Obviously I cannot walk into a fitting drenched to the core so I seek shelter under the train awning and after 15 minutes of a typical NYC I need to be somewhere so why not monsoon moment, I suck it up and make my way to my destination notwithstanding  stepping into a calf deep NYC UGH Puddle in my sandals.. Uber Gross but I MADE IT!!! Designer Lynn and her assistant On, were all smiles and so super cool upon my arrival to Simple Studios and because of their flawless designs the super funky Black Dress I was to wear needed little adjustments and I was literally in and out of there in no time.  So now I’m onto the Next one…..
In Harlem NY im scheduled to meet with ‘Eptiome of Sexy’ Stylist and MUA Barbie Armstrong so she can fit me for the MAJOR Designer NYFW Runway show Plus Night Out. I enter her apt and we connected after not working with each other since our shoot for 'Epitome of Sexy' featured in Full BlossomMagazine, hence my connection to the fantastic Barbie (Being the face of Full Blossom comes with some perks ; )
 
 I am immediately just in awe of the collection of fabulous designs, shoes and jewelry pieces Barbie has in her arsenal!! I take a deep breath of relief because I know I’m in excellent hands and of course the first dress I put on is THE DRESS!! Designed by Barbie Armstrong and sewn by a woman who was the seamstress for The Supremes, this dress, with its boning and the ruching was so perfectly executed and is a rarity and I felt so honored to wear it.  With Barbie’s flair for the Avant Garde you can see where the cross between elevated sophistication and feminine sexiness intertwine in this piece. This dress loved my curves as much as I loved wearing it. We next decided on a black mini dress for the Full Blossom Party at The Stellan from Fashion to Figure and she hooked it up  jewelry, shoes, hair & make-up concept, EVERYTHING.
I left out of Barbies Fashion Palace feeling hella awesome. The movements I’m making mixed with knowing I have a team of reliable people in my corner is what I’ve been working so hard towards.  Time has escaped me once again and it is now 1:30 AM so you know it!!! I gotta Boogie!! My son will be getting up for school at 7 am and I still have to trek it back to the Bronx. Nothing worth having comes easy… This normally half hour ride home took me about 1 ½ hours thanks to good ol’ MTA!! Here it is now 3am  and I’m walking in my door getting ready to take it down for my big day wearing this amazing dress, trying not to let the fact that I’m representing Full Blossom Magazine interviewing at Plus Night Out circle in my mind.
 
I have to get some type of rest so I meditate on reminding myself that these are the moments I’ve been working for. Now is the time for me to accept that this really is my moment and to see where the next level will take me….
 
To Be Continued…….

No comments:

Post a Comment