Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Curvy Chaos ~ My Interivew with Charli Baltimore, Almost Interview with Tiffany Fox and the Stress Between




I have deemed 2013  the year of 'Taking the Good with the Bad.' It seems within every significantly positive movement forward there has been an attempt, by whatever dark force that has it out for me, to deter me away from my destiny. I'm Gods Child and the Devil is a Liar. The trick to avoiding the could've, would've's is to keep moving through No Matter What.. It's true what they say... You can be so close to attaining your dream, if you give up when the road gets bumpy you will unknowingly and unfortunately forfeit all the hard work which put you in position. I thank God for my friend who didn't let me quit when I felt my career as a model wasn't going anywhere. Its because of this friend that I am able to say I have become a known Curvy Model in the NYC circuit continuing to build my network in the US and around the world as blogger of the amazing Curvy Models Rock, and as one of the The Faces of Full Blossom Magazine, a Lifestyle magazine which contributes to reflecting positive images of Curvy Women. (So on a personal note, Thank You Ty. I don't really think you know how instrumental you were in helping me stay focused and not give up.)
 
Being a part of the Full Blossom family has been a great blessing which has allowed me to model for Designers and Stylists, now re-opening doors for me as an interviewer. It hadn't been long since my departure from Under Lock and Key TV in the Bronx NY which showcased underground as well as known talents; so it was a no brainer Mello Andrews Co-Founder, Editor and Chief of Full Blossom Magazine would call me to interview with FemCee Charli Baltimore about her upcoming mixtape release 'Hard to Kill'. To mw though, it was a straight up blessing.  This phone call to conduct this interview solidified for me that even when one doors closes, if its meant for you, God will open up a window. It's been a long journey that's not over by a long shot.. But of course, nothing worth having comes easy..
 
Tuesday is my most hectic day of the week. That is the day I contribute to Curvy Models Rocks. I spend such a great deal of time making sure to put the work in so that you, my readers, feel like this is not just another dictating blog of what to wear, who to like and where to go. I want you to feel my experience of the day, thoughts, setbacks and triumphs. So here we are and I'm focused on bringing you all a piece of me when the phone rings early afternoon with Mello asking me to conduct an interview with Ms. Baltimore AND Lil Kim's up coming artist Tiffany Fox. While I'm crazy excited,  here we go cause its last minute and I had already made plans to help my model friend and Stylist (Remember Monet Solomon, whom I met during the Ashley Stewart Denim Event???) empty out the rest of her storage.. I'm a loyal person so I set out to make good on my promise and help her find someone who will take this glass dinette table off her hands. We head over to the spot I bartend at in what was a most uncomfortable and very unappreciative exchange with no thank you real gratitude shown and we end up leaving the place hella peeved that we even went through so much trouble for pretty much nothing. Hindsight is 20/20 cause I end up missing my interview with Tiffany Fox for being tardy and now the bar which has this lovely glass table calls me the week after to fire me due to "lack of patrons" Well isn't that fucking grand -_-
 
Forward motion....
 
Can't look back now what's done is done and here Monet and I are scrambling to get ready for this interview in her car.. Monet styles me with this fab gold plated belt, necklace, bracelet and an ear cuff and some SICK shoes. We book it to the city as fast as we could but like I said even with all this effort, I didn't make it to interview with Tiffany Fox. Mello covered for me and rightly so her manager is peeved. I managed to get a photo opp with Ms. Fox. I say my apologies for the umpteenth time in the hopes I can salvage some future relationship, cause you just never know. I then make my way over to Gansevoort Park Hotel where Charli Baltimore is hosting her final interviews of the day.

The Gansevoort... There are no words for this place.. First off, no matter how much you LOVE high heels THEY HURT!! Especially for my curvy self and sexy as they are..  well its not called "Shoe-icide" for nothing. Lucky for me, here at this heavenly adult playground there are plush carpets throughout so you can walk confident and comfortable in your highest of heels without looking awkward.
 
We begin our search high and low to find the suite where Charli Baltimore and her camp are set up and finally we find her room. We are the absolute last interview of the evening as the entourage is chowing down on some well deserved pizza, even offering Mello, Monet and Myself some food. I politely decline cause I'm really not trying to have pizza breath up in Charli B's face; but damn my stomach is on Moufassa status at this point. Moving on I'm trying really hard to focus on the questions with anxiety creeping up about my earlier mishap and even more because Charli is a well respected FemCee in the Hip Hop world. 
 
Here we go!! Its Full Blossom Magazine TV's time to interview.
 
We enter the hotels bedroom where two chairs are set up turned towards each other. Charli looks amazing in this Black and White print Romper with Fredrick Lim Thigh High open toe shoes. I mean she was killing it. We move forward to get this interview underway because poor Charli had been on the press circuit promoting her Mixtape 'Hard To Kill' for 18 hrs, having interviewed with all the major Press outlets in NY. As we sit down and the nerves take over. I'm thinking to myself, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU DONE THIS NICOLE??? Don't syke yourself out, you got this. 
 
I had a smooth run with questions flowing. Made a few mistakes with the Mic exchange back and forth but I still managed to keep a decent flow going and then BAM.. BLANK... What question would I ask next? Where is this going? I don't want generic questions.. I don't want to talk about her past I want to talk about her new Mixtape and CUT! With heart palpitations on the rise I was able to collect myself after a brief moment to get back on track. Charli and I commenced the interview. I'm digging her demeanor and considering her tiring day she remained calm amidst my stumble and we just got back to kicking it talking about her comeback, family and how she viewed the industry. 
 
We wrapped up and a smile of YES comes over Charli's face, because our wrapping signified the ending to her tiresome day. All smiles she obliged our taking pictures for our instagrams and photo opps for the magazine. Her management BMB was in the room discussing some final details with Mello and I said my goodbyes thanking everyone for their time. Professional always but boy was I glad it was over.

 So now here it is the FBM TV interview with Charli Baltimore talking about her mixtape 'Hard to Kill' which will be released Sept 17th. (Make sure you look out for that) I watched our interview and immediately pick up on me using the word 'Definitely' one too many times but regardless and considering the stress of that day in particular, I'm not at all mad with how the interview it went down.. Live and Learn.  Forward Motion
 
 
 
Every time I do this I will get better and that's all I have to know and believe. Experience is the best teacher and I am Life's Disciple. Much like the theme of my year, my day was filled with many great moments and equally not so great moments but the point is I pushed. I walked through those doors to interview Tiffany Fox knowing I was late, knowing my intention wasn't to be, knowing I am a firm believer in respecting peoples time but being unsuccessful regardless. I refuse to kick myself for that anymore than I already have. Everyday I'm learning and growing and becoming better at my craft(s). I know much like Charli Baltimore, I will have my come back and be stronger than ever.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment